Sunday, March 20, 2011

brass tacks


when i first saw these tissue paper pom poms, i knew they would be perfect for my wedding reception.
for one thing, they are crazy pretty, for another, they look like dahlias, which are my favorite flower.  unfortunately, dahlias won't be in season in may, so i can't use real ones; these pom poms kind of make up for that.  month ago i ordered a ton of tissue paper from dick blick (they have great paper!), and made a test pom pom that's still hanging up in our living room.  they're fairly easy to make, but i learned early on that you do have to be kind of fiddly with them.  you need to use a bone folder to make the creases sharp, and unless you have the most amazing pair of scissors EVER, you need to use an xacto knife to get the points sharp.  i made about four pom poms last night, and by the time i was done, my back was fussy from bending over, and i was shocked to realized i still have TWENTY TWO more to make, at the very least.  all this homemade wedding stuff is delightful and charming, to be sure, but sometimes i could kick myself. 

i also understand susan's pain quite a bit better now...

1 comment:

  1. Anything you need help with, just send to me. I know you'll have to mail paper, or whatever, but it can go media rate and I have a bunch of scissors down here. Need vellum cut for candles? Count me in! Don't be afraid to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete